As we approach Littlebit’s 3 month mark (WHATWHY??), I thought I would post a few things that we could not have lived without while raising a newborn/infant.
1) Halo fleece sleep sack swaddle - When we put one of these on our baby registry, I thought, “I’m a nurse…I can swaddle a baby!” But at 2am when the baby is screaming and kicking, swaddling is an impossible feat. We now have one in each color. This is my number 1 baby accessory that we could not live without. The minute this sleep sack zips up, baby girl knows it is time to dream. Perfection!
2) Gerber white front-snap tshirts (long sleeve with hand covers)- It can take up to 2 weeks for the umbilical cord stump to fall off. These are perfect to keep the stump safe and dry, and face free from scratches in the middle of the night. I now use these under her onesies that don’t have built in hand mitts.
3) Moses basket on rocker- We are in the process of planning for a transition to her crib…but she LOVES her moses basket. It is right next to my side of the bed, and it is so easy to do a one-handed-paci-in-the-mouth maneuver in the early morning. It’s snug and comfy, and the basket will rock her back to sleep when she kicks her legs. Another plus of this? It’s easy to transport and there is nothing to assemble.
4) Unpetroleum jelly- If there is one thing I learned in our baby care class, it was to use this on a baby’s bumbum. It lasts forever, and I haven’t even bought Desitin. We apply a liberal amount of this with diaper changes, and I am happy to say that we had been free of diaper rash! It also feels great on dry hands from all of the hand washing and antibacterial gel usage. I found it at Whole Foods.
5) Medela nipple cream -Oh my God. This stuff saved me. I bought it before she arrived, and I was so thankful to have it at home. I kept it by my side at all times, and used it after every feeding for the first 3-4 weeks.
6) JJ Cole BundleMe -This is such a great invention. A plush sleeping bag for the carseat or stroller! The minute I zip her up, she settles down and enjoys the ride. I know that she is snug and warm,and we don’t have to worry about a blanket falling on the ground.
7) JJ Cole carseat strap covers -I noticed that her cheeks were getting red from the carseat straps, so I ordered her a pair of these covers. You can throw them in the wash and your carseat straps stay free from drool!
8) Soothies - All our baby wanted to do was suck, suck, suck. But due to the things we read about nipple confusion, we decided to wait 2 weeks before introducing the pacifier. I wish we hadn’t. These little pacis are shaped like a nipple, so no nipple confusion! I don’t know what we would do without it. I keep 3 in my diaper bag at all times.
9) Playtex Ventaire bottle- These are wide neck with slow flow nipples. The air is released from the top, so gas is kept to a minimum. Due to the wide shape of the nipple, our little girl had no trouble going from pumped milk to breast.
11) Target nursing tanks- I live in these.
12)Moby Wrap- We are outgrowing the infant hold and need to learn a new wrapping method, but this wrap has been invaluable. She loves it! It keeps her nice and cozy…and safe from the nosy old ladies at the grocery store.
13) Diapers.com -for everything. Free next day delivery on orders over $50. When we notice that there are only 20 diapers left, I place an order and email is sent within an hour that order has shipped and the box is on the front porch the next day. BAM!
14) Google- From “Why does my baby hiccough so much?” to “Breastfed baby poop pictures”
15) Coffee - Hot or luke warm, I’ll take it. The beauty of having a baby before the holidays? Holiday coffee drinks.
What items could you not live without? Any suggestions for the next 3 months?